Primary Bedroom Location - Upstairs or Main Level?
June 30, 2020
You've probably thought a lot about the details of your new home. Everything from the floor plan to the kitchen layout and the landscaping has likely crossed your mind. But when planning out your primary bedroom, have you considered where in the house to put it? There isn't one right answer, but there is a right answer for you.
Considerations for Primary Bedroom Location
Of course, this decision might be influenced by the shape of your homesite and the overall floor plan of your home.
Benefits of Sleeping on the Main Floor
- You can maintain distance between the primary bedroom and the other rooms in the house.
- Great for aging into a house to avoid the regular use of stairs.
- Easy access to the other main rooms in your home.
- It can be converted into a guest suite for long-term visitors.
Building Your Suite on the Second Floor
- Great for couples wanting to create a relaxing, private space away from common areas.
- Sleeping is easy even when other members in your house are noisy downstairs.
Think ahead about how you plan on aging into your home. You might desire to have a suite away from noisy teens, but newborns need constant care that will require multiple trips up and down. Whatever you decide, make sure it's right for your family.